Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Thursday, January 27, 2011

4 Month Appointment

Although Noah is not quite 4 months old, he had his 4 month appointment today. Needless to say, it went pretty well. Noah is currently 12lbs 13oz, 23.5 inches. Still "small" (grr) but that's okay!! Doctor told me not to worry about it because he is growing steadily on the chart. The next topic we talked about was his sleeping habits. As I was telling her how Noah wakes up every 2 or 3 hours at night she said it was time for me to just let him cry it out. I told her I thought he was too young to do the cry it out method. She shook her head at me and said that at this point, he is capable of sleeping through the night without eating. Soooo, in order to teach him to sleep through the night I should let him cry in increments...meaning let him cry for 5 minutes, go back in and comfort him, tell him it's okay and walk out. If he is still crying, go back after 10 minutes and do the same thing. By the 15 minute increment, he should be sleeping, if not pick him up, comfort and let him know it's okay and mommy loves him. Then put him back in bed. Or..in my case I will feed him and make him happy. I don't see a need to make him suffer when he is only 4 months old.
Tonight, I tested it out. I fed Noah and put him down awake, he whined/grunted for 5 minutes, his pacifier fell out and he started to cry so I went back in and put it back in his mouth. He started whining/grunting again, and after 5 or 10 minutes he was asleep. All in all, I think I can do it, but if the crying gets too harsh, I am going in to cuddle him. If he is still not sleeping through the night by 5 or 6 months then I will truly try the cry it out method. At the doctors, I was literally about to cry when she told me I needed to let him cry it out. Can I do it all by myself? I'm scared. Tonight gave me some confidence, but I can see myself giving in. I guess we will just have to see!
Moving on to the rest of the appointment. I talked to Noah's doctor about traveling (since we are going to Denver in a week!!! SO EXCITED!! ) and all she said was to feed him at take off and landing and not to care about the people around me, it will only stress me out more and babies can sense stress. I told her Greg will keep me calm. :) Noah had his 2nd round of shots today. He did a lot better than I thought. Of course he cried, but the 1st round just seemed more harsh. On the other hand, the rest of the day was pretty rough. He slept a lot of the day but when he was awake, he did not want to be put down and, well, he cried..a lot. :) He did not want anything to do with nursing, so I ended up giving him a bottle. I actually ended up calling a friend (Thank you Nicole!) to come over and help me. Greg was at work, my house was getting a little too messy for me, and I needed to pump. I was so grateful she was around!!

After our doctor's appointment, we went over to visit NoNo!


Noah Loves His Bath!



On Tuesday, Noah and I went over to Jamie's house for a little playgroup. Noah finally met Baby Kaylee Gummo :)
(Noah taking over Kaylee's blanket! Sorry Kaylee!!)

1 comment: